What a summer it has been! First, we’ve made it to Vancouver! School has just gotten rolling, so please expect my absence from these site for awhile (what’s new). Tonight’s dinner menu consists of a meat-less gyro. Sweet potato is filling in for the traditional role of pork, chicken or lamb. And then all the familiar toppings: tomato, cucumber, red onion, feta, and homemade tzatziki sauce. But you’re probably just as hungry as I am, so let’s cut to the chase and get this dish cooking. It can be on the table in 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup yogurt (plain)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and peper to taste
- pita or naan bread (I’m using naan)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- feta cheese
Here we go:
- Cube your sweet potato. In a baking pan, cover your potato cubes with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Sprinkle 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 tsp fresh ground pepper over the potatoes.
- Roast the potatoes at 450(F) for 25 min. Stir half way through.
- Meanwhile- dice your red onion, cucumber, and tomato. Small chunks. Set aside.
- Tzatziki sauce time! In a small bowl combine: 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 clove minced garlic, 3 Tablespoon fresh chopped dill and 4 Tablespoons lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble– Take a warm piece of pita or nana (microwave for 30s or oven- your choice) and smear it with a GENEROUS glob of hummus for the base.
- Layer roasted sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, red onions on top of the humus.
- Top with feta cheese, and drizzled tzatziki sauce.
- Enjoy your gyro.